Thursday, July 8, 2010

... On the issue of first finding out

On this issue I have to say just one thing. It is probably one of the most exciting things your wife will ever tell you (really after "I do" and "I'm pregnant" it all kind of goes downhill) but it is also one of the most shocking. Take for example the day you asked your wife to get married, you prepare for the moment, visualize what you will do, what you will say, and of course visualize the girl saying yes, which sometimes is not the case, and I'm not saying this from personal experience. The point is you are completely prepared for whatever the outcome might be when you speak to her.
But when you find out your wife is pregnant there usually isn't a whole lot of preparation time going on. For me, just to site an example I'm sure it is different for everyone else, it was as simple as her calling me in the middle of the workday to drop the news. It was fine, and although i got over the shock fairly quick (I was heading to a sales call) I can assure you i did not sell a thing the rest of the day.
I remember that day I was overwhelmed by joy but also worried, you see as a man when you find out a child is on the way immediately your whole perception of what your future might have looked like changes. All of a sudden those plans to spend two weeks in China with your beau don't seem as achievable as before. And of course you can forget about that sports car you have been eyeballing for a while. But the amazing thing is that under normal circumstances if all of these plans were ruined by someone else for you, you would be angry as heck! but in this case it all seems kind of worthless and the only thing that starts to matter now is, how do i take care of this child?
After 8 months that is still a question that i constantly ask myself and I'm sure i will be for the rest of my life. But all in all I think it is a good question to be asking yourself, one that with a some hard work, the support of good friends, and a strong faith I hope to find an answer to soon.
I guess the main take away from this post is, ladies finding out you are going to be a parent is just as life changing for us as it is for you. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I congratulate you for that you do father and I'm sure you'll be the best father in the world, and remember that parenting is a natural fit for us given the LORD, time will teach you how to do it and do not worry it all works out on the road and But when you have a wife and a family can love you and support you always, enjoy this hermoo time of life that is not in mundp nothing more beautiful than being a parent I can tell you that I have the most beautiful and good children there in the universe.
    Congratulations and God bless you always.

    ReplyDelete